Style: Neoclassical / Iron and glass architecture (1886)
Designers: Ing. Enrico Melis
The main building of the ancient town market had a neoclassical façade, in accordance with the style used in Largo Carlo Felice, with three jutting trachyte avant-corps. Through the central avant-corp, a big triumphal arch gave access to the inside of the building, Covered with sheets of glass sustained by iron and cast columns still visible today. The goods, like vegetables, fruits, bread and game where located on numbered steel benches. There was also a minor building, characterized by a colonnade supported by Doric columns, which was used as fish and meat market, and on holydays it was crowded by poultry and sweets sellers.
Where it is: